Friday, June 24, 2016

Resizing a Ladies' 1860s Bodice to Fit a Child (Part 2)

I had not actually planned to write and post this tonight. My poor phone is not working due to too many pictures, so I had to get these pics off. My thoughts needed composing before life got in the way and I forgot what I did, so here it is! Lol


In the last post I didn't have pattern pieces to resize, so I had used an existing garment to trace off a pattern. Then I had traced off a copy to use in this post to slash. 

Slashing Bodice Pattern Pieces

Supplies used:

Traced copied pattern pieces
Long ruler or other straight edge
Ink pen or Pencil
Clear, easily removable tape


*Note, I am using the method of Resizing Patterns from Sensibility.com.

Next, I measured off an existing non-stretchy garment from my daughter (a Sunday dress) that fit her well in the: waist, shoulder-to-waist, and armscye. Write down these exact measurements, rounding to about 1/4".

Slashing Vertically:

I laid a half bodice front pattern piece out on an inch-marked cardboard cutting board and marked a vertical line down from the centers of the neckline, shoulder, and armscye. Next, I cut apart my pattern into four pieces. Move the pieces, equally overlapping them (divide the total measurements for the chest and waist by 8), until the desired size is reached. Tape these pieces together in many places.


Slashing Horizontally:

To mark the horizontal slash points, locate the centers of the armscye and around the waistline. Slash along these lines. Again, shorten until the armscye and shoulder-to-waist are right according the the measurements. Tape in place.



You will, no doubt, have an overwhelming mess of lines at this point. I don't have a French curve(such as this one) to finish this off, but if/when I do, I will finish this project for another post. :( Meanwhile, I refer you to my original Resizing Patterns resource from Sense & Sensibility Patterns to complete your project!



For now, I believe I have discovered a simpler way to make a decent replica of an infant/toddler/child mid-19th century bodice and sleeves(of which I am Super Excited about!), so stay tuned as I will be sharing that soon! :D


Good night, y'all!

Love,
Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment